Below are the major Characteristics/Features and Functions of the Government in a State
Characteristics of Government
1. Constitution- This is a major characteristic of a government. The government make a set of agreed rules which guides it in the administration of the state.
2. Periodic Change- A government is meant to change after a specific period of time. No government is permanent, particularly a democratic or elective government which changes through periodic election.
3. Legitimacy- A government must enjoy the support of the people.
4. Revenue- The government make revenue in different ways to enhance its administration
5. Political Power- The government must posses political power which is a tool of rooting orderliness in a state.
6. Universality of Government’s reach- The jurisdiction of the government must reach or extend to everyone within the state.
7. Public Institutions- The institutions comprising the government of a political society, differ from the other institutions within the society.
Functions Of Government
The government of a state owe allegiance to the state itself and its citizens as well. If a government fails to do its functions in a state, the citizens can request for the replacement of such government in as much Democracy is in practice.
Below are the functions/ duties of a government on a state.
1. Law Making
2. Military defence of the country
3. Provision of employment
4. Maintenance of law and order
5. Promotion of economic growth and development
6. Maintaining good relations with other sovereign states or countries (foreign diplomacy)
7. Protection of civil liberties
8. Protection of lives and properties
9. Administration of justice
10. Formulation and implementation of policies
11. Provision of social-welfare services
Reference- Essential Government For Senior Secondary Schools- C. C. Dibie
Please, kindly drop a comment below if you find this helpful or you have a question.